Year 6 into 7 Transition (old)
(Transferring from primary school)
To support your child through recent changes and their feelings about transitioning to secondary school, download the ‘My Little Book of Changes’ document HERE.
It would be wonderful, if your child would like to share their reflections, with their tutors when the time is ready for them to meet.
Autism Education Trust Transition Toolkit (also useful for many children without autism) – covers nursery right through to starting university https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/sites/default/files/field/attachemnt/transitiontoolkit.pdf
Transition resources from Young Minds (aimed at teachers but includes tips for parents and activities for children)
Some great resources from BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/zh4wy9q/starting-secondary-school/1
ASDAN ‘Moving On’ resources (Using a mobile phone and how to travel independently)
Get the ‘Own it’ App on your child’s phone to help them interact positively with online conversations: https://www.bbc.com/ownit
Parent Stories: Getting kids tech ready for transition to secondary school
Parents cultivating a ‘Growth Mind-set’ at home
There will soon be a video uploaded on to this page that you can watch with your child to get them familiar with what school looks like, inside and outside.
Visuals and prompts are excellent ways of building confidence during transitions points in every child’s life. When we get closer to students returning to school, children with special educational needs, may benefit from creating their own visual map with help from the transition team. Pictures of different areas will be posted nearer to the time, when school re-opens. Have a look at an example of our visual map template HERE.
* We invite all prospective parents and children to an open evening early in the Autumn Term - this year it is on Wednesday 2 October, from 6pm till 8pm.
* There are also opportunities to visit during the working day.
* Through liaison with primary schools, students in Years 5 and 6 have opportunities to participate in learning activities, performing arts and sports.
* Senior pastoral staff visit all prospective students in the Summer Term prior to transfer.
* Unfortunately, due to the coronavirus crisis, we are not able to hold our Induction Day for Year 6 students this year. We are developing a video to familiarise students with the school environment and to meet with their tutors.
* A new intake parents’ evening provides an opportunity for parents to meet tutors and senior staff.
* Close links with our primary schools ensure that students settle in quickly and build on the skills they have developed during Key Stage 2.