Year 6 into 7 Transition
(Transferring from primary school)
Transition to Year 7
I am so pleased that your child will be joining our successful Academy in September.
Transition from Year 6 to Year 7 is an important aspect of your child’s educational journey and one that features prominently on our summer term academic calendar.
Our established plan for transition is:
• for members of our pastoral team to visit students in their primary schools and to have discussions with their current teachers;
• for the students to spend a transition day at the Academy to meet their tutors, their teachers and their classmates (scheduled for Tuesday 6 July);
• for parents/carers to attend an induction evening with their child (scheduled for Tuesday 6 July).
The transition team will be touch in due course, but for now, should you have any questions about transition, please email Mr Gilbert (firstname.lastname@example.org), who is the Assistant Headteacher for Key Stage 3.
Please do visit our ‘Year 6 in to Year 7 Transition’ area on the academy website which can be found by accessing the following tabs ‘For Parents/Carers’ and then, under the ‘Support’ column, select ‘Y6 in to Y7 Transition’ – from here you will be able to gain further information and resources to help you at home, support your child’s transition to us.
We do not take our success for granted and appreciate we can only succeed through a positive partnering approach between us, you and your child to help them develop effective learning habits, a sense of pride and positive academic behaviours. We are here for your child and can also support you, should you ever need it.
I look forward to meeting you and your child soon.
Mr Scott Yalden
Year 7 Tutors
The transition team are:
Mrs Jackman, Deputy Headteacher and SENCo
Mr Gilbert, Assistant Headteacher for Key Stage 3
Mrs Woollaston and Mrs Bateson, Pastoral Care Officers
Mrs Jones, Assistant SENco
They are here to help you during the transition stage.
Letter from Mrs Jackman with transition information - Update Coming.
Academy Information Booklet summary - Update Coming.
Need to Know – Year 7 - Autumn 1 – exemple booklet, can be found HERE.
To support your child through recent changes and their feelings about transitioning to secondary school, download the ‘My Little Book of Changes’ document HERE.
It would be wonderful, if your child would like to share their reflections, with their tutors when the time is ready for them to meet.
There will soon be a video uploaded on to this page that you can watch with your child to get them familiar with what school looks like, inside and outside.
Visuals and prompts are excellent ways of building confidence during transitions points in every child’s life. When we get closer to students returning to school, children with special educational needs, may benefit from creating their own visual map with help from the transition team. Pictures of different areas will be posted nearer to the time, when school re-opens. Have a look at an example of our visual map template HERE.
General Transition Information:
* We invite all prospective parents and children to an open evening early in the Autumn Term.
* There are also opportunities to visit during the school day.
* Through liaison with primary schools, students in Years 5 and 6 have opportunities to participate in learning activities, performing arts and sports.
* Senior pastoral staff visit all prospective students in the Summer Term prior to transfer.
* A new intake parents’ & carers' evening provides an opportunity for parents to meet tutors and senior staff.
* Close links with our primary schools ensure that students settle in quickly and build on the skills they have developed during Key Stage 2.
Autism Education Trust Transition Toolkit (also useful for many children without autism) – covers nursery right through to starting university https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/sites/default/files/field/attachemnt/transitiontoolkit.pdf
Transition resources from Young Minds (aimed at teachers but includes tips for parents and activities for children)
Some great resources from BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/zh4wy9q/starting-secondary-school/1
ASDAN ‘Moving On’ resources (Using a mobile phone and how to travel independently)
Get the ‘Own it’ App on your child’s phone to help them interact positively with online conversations: https://www.bbc.com/ownit
Parent Stories: Getting kids tech ready for transition to secondary school
Parents cultivating a ‘Growth Mind-set’ at home
‘Be awesome – Go Big project’ - click HERE
Resources that accompany the video and the books we have purchased for year 6-7, can be found here and we can publish this on our website: